What is an Unvented Cylinder?
An Unvented Cylinder is a hot water storage system that has a hot water storage cylinder that does not incorporate a vent pipe to atmosphere.
In simple terms, a system of pipework and components operating above atmospheric pressure, normally fed from the mains and sealed to the atmosphere (no vent pipe).
As no vent pipe is provided, the system differs from a conventional system in that the operation of the vent pipe needs to be performed in other ways.
Unvented Cylinders are covered by section G3 of the Building Regulations. G3 of the Building Regulations came into force on November 11th 1985.
Advantages of unvented systems:
- Balanced pressures at hot and cold taps for showers.
- Higher water pressures available at the hot taps.
- Eliminates risk of contamination as there is no storage cistern (tank in the loft).
- The hot water storage cylinder can be sited anywhere in the house, are very suitable for one storey dwellings, e.g. flats and bungalows.
- Quicker to install, no cold storage tanks in the loft, less pipework.
- Small diameter pipework may possibly be used.
- Gives architects and service designers greater flexibility of design.
We are fully qualified to install Unvented Cylinders, if you would like a quote or for further information please call us on 07725 557108 or 01628 676866